More than a place--it's a writer's muse.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Authors Behaving Badly Redux

Or the Amazon Goddess and Raging Big Sister Syndrome


It's like a car wreck. I know I should keep driving, but I couldn't look away. This takes the cake, it's not just an author upset at a reviewer, it's one author trashing another personally because she didn't like his book.

He attacks her personally and implies that if she lost weight, she'd get laid and that somehow has something to do with why she didn't like the book, even though it was filled with typos that the author was aware of and still sent it to be reviewed.

Some of the comments by the author were deleted, but you get the general idea. You can read here. Behaving Badly

What the hell is wrong with people? Seriously, I want an answer to this question. It's great to follow your dreams, but unemployment and a mass of word vomit on a page doesn't make you a writer. Especially if you can't be bothered to proofread your offering.

Neither does selling.

What? Did I just say that? I did. You know what makes you a writer? Loving your craft, holding it close to your heart, your soul, but knowing when it's ready to be kicked out of the nest. Always learning, striving, and honing your talent and weaving a story where the colors merge into each other in a seamlessly beautiful design. That's what makes a writer.

Of course, the selling part is great too, but you have to keep doing the other stuff.

Putting on your assbag hat and stapling it to your head with behavior like this doesn't fit the bill.

Color me disgusted.

9 comments:

Avery K. Tingle said...

This is a very inspiring blog.

This guy never needs to write again, but it means nothing to him other than a paycheck. I imagine the woman he sent this too saw this. What does her weight have to do with the fact that HE SUCKS??

Thank you for sharing this; I hope other would-be writers take heed before embarking on their journey, because it's not for everyone. We don't do it for the pay (although that's nice) we do it because we love it. If you're not going to take it seriously, please jump off the deep end.

Thank you again for sharing.

C. Margery Kempe said...

Technical note: there's a typo in the link (repetition of "http"). What can I say? Agreed. As much as we want to protect our babies, if you decide to wade into the profession of writing, you need to be a professional.

As for "what the hell is wrong with people?!" -- they are too used to be surrounded with clone minds. Especially in the States, public discourse seems to no longer allow polite disagreement. If you disagree with me, you must hate me and be working for my destruction (hello, teabaggers).

I blame the destruction of our education system that no one wants to be taxed to pay for (taxes=bad! like roads, sidewalks, snow removal and parks). Ignorant people act ignorantly. Get some schoolin'!

[hilarious word verification! "ablerubs"]

C. Margery Kempe said...

@Avery -- actually I think writing is very important to him. He thinks he's wonderful and is upset because for him, dissing his book *is* a personal attack. Like many beginning writers, he can't distance himself from what he has written.

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by, Avery. You've got the right of it.

Kate- Thanks. I'll fix the link. I know what you mean. There's this whole entitlement mentality and I'm so sick of it, I could puke. I like people to disagree with me. I like to discuss, but so many people do think that if you disagree with them, you just threw crap at their grandmother.

Unknown said...

Kate-

That's a good insight.

I know a bad review sucks, but I can't imagine sending out my work knowing it was full of typos and still expecting to be handed a five star/skull review. Even when I'd just started writing.

C. Margery Kempe said...

Oh hell yeah! "Easter eggs"? That's just laziness -- smug and unforgivable laziness. It's an attitude that says he doesn't care enough about the process or the reader to bother correcting his own typos. Head scratchingly odd.

Heather said...

I'm looking forward to receiving reviews. Even ones that don't swoon over my story. I love my writing, and look forward to seeing it grow, and the only way it can do that is if I follow the heartbreak trail. If I'm completely comfortable, I'm not growing.

A writer must also remember that opinions are like... well, that's a bit cliche so I'll stop there. Needless to say, I'm learning a lot simply by watching, and if I ever need to attack anyone, I'll go for a walk first. It's a lot more productive. :D Thanks for all the insights!

Unknown said...

Heather,

Thanks for stopping in between the sheets. *g*

You have a great attitude and I try to maintain the same. :) We have to keep learning, or we're stagnating and that's the death knell for any art form.

Gail Hart said...

Just from the description of the plot, never mind all those "Easter eggs," I'm not surprised this individual had to self-publish. He's no professional - far from it.

Earlier today @katiebabs tweeted about another author who insulted a reviewer on Goodreads: http://gentlewit.com/2010/02/22/my-question-remains-how-does-nanowrimo-apply-to-this/

 
The Sanibel Divas © 2007 Template feito por Templates para Você