More than a place--it's a writer's muse.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Love Hate Relationship



So, fellow Diva Shannon Delaney posted something this morning and it got me thinking. Her posts usually do that... *wink*

See that icon up there? The blood dripping off of the quill? It doesn't matter what you write, but if you are driven to write, that ink is the same thing that runs through your veins, it's your blood on that page.

What a sacrifice of self to bring these worlds to the page! Why would you do it if you didn't love it?

I didn't love it. For a long time, I hated writing as much as I was driven to do it. It was quite the inner turmoil.

I hated that anything had control over me and it did. I have to write. It's just like saying that I have to breathe. Both are vital life functions. I didn't enjoy the process of writing, I didn't enjoy the characters in my head, it was all a chore that had to be done.

Again, writing was like going #2. It wasn't fun, but it had to be done or it backed up. (I know, always with the butt humor. *g*)

I didn't sell until I loved it.

Perhaps I was dropped on my head as a child, but that light didn't go on for me until just now, reading Shannon's post.

You can't be in this boat for any other reason than True Love. It doesn't matter if you write romance or not, the True Love is with your craft.

During this contest, I fell in love with writing. I fell in love with my characters and their story. I think it shows.

So, take a look today. Are you in love?

Tell me about it!

9 comments:

Jennifer L Hart said...

I was born to write, to entertain via the written word. I've always loved it. I love my made-up people, wish the real deal would kiss off so I could spend more time there. My peeps are always happy to see me, don't give a rat's ass what I'm wearing don't need me to wash their clothes wipe their backsides.

They don't mind when I miss something the first time out, don't embarass me when I screw up.

It's the selling it to the "real people," that makes my ass twitch. My books are excellent, if only the world could see that.

Unknown said...

I've always made up stories too. As an only child, I spent a lot of time with my imagination.

I just hated the process of writing it down.

And they will see that, Jennifer. Stellar Timing is a blast and Redeeming Characters is so blunt and painful, but lovely and warm at the same time!

Liane Gentry Skye said...

Ohhh, sweetie, you hit my angsty nail on the head. Again. Right now it's work. You see, I wrote a menage story a while back. And I didn't enjoy it. Hated it. Great story, probably the best writing I've ever done, but when I read the end product, I realized it wasn't something I want to be remembered for. So when it came time to write the end story for that series, I hit the proverbial brick wall. I'm not loving writing this. It's coming along, finally, but I have learned to never, EVER pitch something just because my editor says that's what's selling. It's been a miserable road. I had to dig hard to find something to fall in love with in writing this story. And it wouldn't move forward until I did!

Lori said...

Oh ladies, you are all so right. Everytime I try to get serious about what I'm writing, I fail. It's only when I stop and play, when I write to make myself laugh and enjoy, that the writing isn't a chore.

I'm accepting that because one can write doesn't mean one must get published.

Liane Gentry Skye said...

Lori, you keep writing as you do. I am a HUGE fan, and I truly believe you're the next Olivia Goldsmith. I'm so glad you're stopping by the blog to play with us!

Unknown said...

Liane- You know it, babe! Sorry this has been so hard. I know not only was it an emotional drain, but now this? Well, lesson learned. It's still good writing. :)

Unknown said...

Lori,

Hi! It's nice to see new faces here at the Diva's hangout.:)

Yes! You must fall in love with the story while your characters do. If you don't love it, why should anyone else?

You're right about the publishing thing, but I hope that doesn't mean that you're giving up.

Liane is crazy accurate with her predictions. So is Robin, actually. Liane told me ages ago that I was going to win that contest even while she was a fellow competitor. She has a nose for these things. *g*

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
The Sanibel Divas © 2007 Template feito por Templates para Você