More than a place--it's a writer's muse.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Okay, so I sold a book. Now what?

Don't get me wrong, I'm still tickled ten shades of pink. (A color my current hero seems to find very entrancing on his heroine.)

I'm prepared for the editing, the revisions, whatever flaming hoops my editor wants me to jump through, I'll do it with a smile on my face. Why? Because I get to type "my editor" for one. *laughs*

I've submitted my input for my cover art. I can't wait to share that with you.

But right now, I feel like that kid in class who finished her test early and isn't sure if she's supposed to be studying for the next one or just sitting quietly. Waiting. I've got the most cake too, just so you know. I'll share. *g*

I've never been a patient creature. I'm a woman of many talents, (Which I think is okay to admit. I like me.) but patience is a virtue that I do not possess and nor do I entreat the universe to teach me such. I don't want to be patient. *laughs* I do want to be professional though, but I think that is another blogpost in itself.

So what am I supposed to be doing? Aside from finishing my WIP, I'm hunting agent.

Why do I need an agent? I sold, right? Nope! That's not the end of it. Not that I'm not thrilled with my editor, my publishing house or anything else, but I want to be smart about it. Someone who has been in the business for 20 years would have plenty to offer me by way of navigation through these new and certainly deep waters.

Anyway, I've done loads of research and chosen a few that I'm interested in and queried. I've had some bites, I think my bait is top notch! We'll see if I get to real in the big fish.

What's after that? I haven't got that sorted yet, but I expect by next week, I will have another post for you.

If anyone has any questions about the process as far as what I've experienced, I'm happy to answer those questions and I plan on doing a series of blogs showcasing the process every step of the way. I know it was very illuminating when fellow blogger and Text Diva Shannon Delaney shared her experiences with us. I learned a lot.

Have a stellar week and I hope your muse dances for you twice today!

X-posted at Writer's Gone Wild because I thought today was Tuesday. *g*

7 comments:

Deborah Blake said...

Yay for Saranna! And I think you're very smart to be looking for an agent. Having sold a book may help you get a foot in that very difficult door. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get one of your top picks. Working on mine right now :-)

Unknown said...

I know you'll make that happen, Deborah. You've got voice!

Thanks!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gail Hart said...

How exciting that the cover is already in the works! I can't wait to see it. And I'll bet that agent search will go just fine -- as you say, you have excellent bait!

Robin said...

Saranna--You've got me following your every move--kind of like poor Shannon when she started the last leg of her journey to the bookshelf. I need to know everything that happens! I hope that it doesn't feel too much like you are falling down Victoria Falls without a boat, but honey, I'm so excited and happy for you.

So, with my limited experience, here is what I think you should be doing, and I'm pretty sure you ARE doing it--keep writing. I completely believe in stocking up. Have something ready when they say--Okay, what have you got for us this year?

Plus, you know, I want you to be one of those writers whose books I can look forward to getting every 6 months (preferably every 3 months). No pressure or anything.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Gail!

And Robin, I've been cranking out a book every two months or so. I'm almost done with my WIP. So, I might be able to fill that order. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Saranna, as I said on Twitter when you won--WOOT! Awesome job! Congratulations! (or something to that effect ;-)

Yes, agent hunting's a good thing, joining RWA's a good thing. Getting out there and meeting people--making connections--also SO important! And Robin is absolutely right... No matter what, keep writing! You wanna be the girl they come to when there's suddenly a hole in their schedule they need plugged. So keep at it, girl!

And you better keep us aware of the steps in your journey--everyone's is different and so special!

Woot! :D

 
The Sanibel Divas © 2007 Template feito por Templates para Você